MANUFACTURE N95 MASKS IN OSHAWA
ESTABLISH PERMANENT MANUFACTURING OF ESSENTIAL PRODUCTS
MAKE IT A CROWN CORPORATION
People are dying because of lack of action by our governments.
The shortage of necessary medical equipment and PPE, especially N95 masks, is endangering patients and front-line medical, nursing and retail workers.
• The Canadian government reports a shortage of over 150 million N95 masks
• Health care workers do not have the PPE they need
• PPE manufacturing at the GM Oshawa plant will only involve 50 workers, and won’t start for 3 to 4 weeks
THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
Government cannot rely on the good will of corporations, whose main priority is maximizing their own profits. While the beginning of PPE production by GM in Oshawa is a welcome first step, much more is urgently needed. The Canadian and Ontario government must use their emergency powers to ORDER vastly increased production of PPE in the largely empty Oshawa assembly complex. This must include desperately needed N95 masks.
There are thousands of laid off GM and supplier workers available. There are millions of square feet available. No more delay can be tolerated.
We also demand that this become a permanent operation. This will not be the last crisis we face. We need the manufacturing capacity in Canada for a secure supply of strategically important medical equipment and PPE, and other socially beneficial products.
We therefore demand:
• Prime Minister Trudeau and/or Premier Ford - issue an immediate order for vastly increased production of essential medical equipment and supplies in the Oshawa GM complex, including N95 masks.
• Make this a permanent operation.
• Use this as the first step towards establishing a Crown Corporation. This is the best way to provide socially necessary products for the future including what we will need for transitioning to sustainable energy.
(* indicates required information)